You might need “Your Own Jesus“.
In Youth Pastor, Contemporary Christian Singer and Songwriter Mark Hall‘s new book, “Your Own Jesus: A God Insistent on Making It Personal“, you will find yourself laughing, sometimes wincing, but delighting in this read.
Revelation 12:11 states “And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.”
This is an invitation book, an overcoming book, that speaks to the fact that so many of us know Jesus but only from afar but not up close and personal.
The introduction and chapter titles bring the reader to remembrance many of the Casting Crown songs and lyrics providing more detail into the thoughts that produced these songs.
Mark Hall speaks to this point with passion and with urgency. The stories and episodes in this book are poignant and sincere.
- Walking us through Psalm 1 (his personal life verse(s)) is astonishingly accurate and describes the ‘slow fade’ is a process.
- His story of preparing youth leaders prior to a youth camp should cause all leaders to think about their own sin before presenting themselves to minister in any capacity to another.
- The oak tree illustration identifies the depth and richness of a close walk with our Savior is necessary to combat gusty lies of the enemy.
It is not a work of theology as some would characterize theology. It is work of testimony and in so takes the reader into biblical doctrine in a much more personal way.
I enjoyed many of the thought provoking quotes such as…
- “I have a saved spirit but I still think with a lost brain.”
- “He was listening to the still wrong voice.”
- “If you are the only christian you know without sin, you are already in the sitting in the seat of the scoffer.”
A delightful, deep, very illustrative book that causes the reader to consider we cannot live off the FAITH of another no more than we can live the LIFE of another.
An added bonus is the discussion guide at the end of the book. Youth workers, Sunday School Teachers, and any other church leader could benefit greatly from this book.
The review copy of this book was provided free of charge by Publisher and was donated to the library of Westwood Baptist Church.
|Your Own Jesus: A God Insistent on Making It Personal
By Mark Hall with Tim Luke / Zondervan
# Hardcover: 224 pages
# Publisher: Zondervan (August 1, 2009)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 0310293324
# ISBN-13: 978-031029332
Join the discussion, post your comments, suggest articles when you become a Fan of Christian Books on Facebook. Click the Facebook Icon or go HERE and become a fan today.